Jumaat, 15 April 2011

Fighting Hate… with Hate?



I always love going through my inbox. And on this enchanting Friday evening, I came across an email that I’ll paraphrase below:
 
Dear Syafiq,

I have a question. I’m only in the 7th grade, but there’s a kid in my class that says he hates gay people – and I don’t know what to do to make him stop. I hate him because my cousin is gay, and my cousin is the best guy in the entire world. I hate how judgmental other people are, so how can I make him stop?

I don’t know much, but I do know this: Hating someone because they hate someone – or something – doesn’t tend to help. Fighting hate with hate is like f*****g for virginity. Or trying to put out a fire with gasoline. It’s counterproductive.

As it turns out, we can’t change other people (though it doesn’t stop most of us from trying). The good news is, we can change ourselves. Changing ourselves is a very powerful thing, as we’re all deeply connected in this web of life. Instead of making his hate your own, make the choice to hold love in your heart – and lead a life that inspires others by example.

Express compassion towards this hateful young man, as he must be in a dark and terrifying place to hold such a toxic perspective of the world. Instead of fighting his hate with more hate, see the spirit underneath the negativity and love him for who he really is: Your brother on this journey of life.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan